A Guide on the Meaning and Symbolism of the Celtic Black Horse
This guide expands on the Celtic Black Horse personality characteristics found in the Celtic Animal Zodiac Signs article. Going beyond zodiac personality characteristics, it provides information on the Celtic Black Horse’s meaning and symbolism in astrology, mythology and tattoos.
Celtic Black Horse Meaning
The Celts believed the Black Horse was a symbol meaning death and dark forces. It represented the strength of maturity to handle what life brings.
The Black Horse was a messenger of esoteric knowledge. He was a keeper of secrets and mysteries.
Black Horse in Celtic Astrology
The White Horse and Black Horse are closely connect in Celtic astrology, where they symbolize the planets Jupiter and Saturn respectively.
The Celts viewed the relationship between Jupiter and Saturn as a significant connection to the summer solstice, where the White Horse symbolize the bright, expansive light of the summer Sun, and the Black Horse represented the limited light of the winter Sun.
Celtic Black Horse Mythology
- Celtic mythology contains many tales of a creature called a pooka (also spelled pwca, pwwka, bucca, and phooca). It was a shapechanger that would take the form of a black horse wearing chains. Some pookas were evil creatures that caused a lot of harm to travelers, while others were helpful to people.
If a person ever tried to ride a pooka, they would be taken on a wild ride. Legend has it that only the High King of Ireland, Brian Boru, was able to ride one successfully.
- In Ireland, there is a monster called the Dullahan. It’s the Irish version of the headless horseman. The Dullahan rides a black horse, while carrying his head under his arm. When he stops riding, a person dies.
Celtic Black Horse Tattoos: Meaning and Symbolism
Celtic Black Horse tattoos are a reminder that you have the strength, wisdom, and maturity to overcome whatever obstacles life gives you.
These tattoos can also represent the knowledge that you have gained in your life – the insights and understandings of the mysteries and secrets that only come through experience and age.
If you enjoyed this article on the Celtic Black Horse, you might also like:
- Celtic Hawk Meaning, Mythology, and Tattoos
- How to Tell Real Astrologers From Fakes
- Sagittarius Love Compatibility and Zodiac Matches
- Celtic Tattoos: History and Meaning
- Celtic Swan Meaning in Astrology, Mythology & Tattoos
- Celtic Tree of Life Meaning and Celtic Tree of Life Symbols
- Egyptian Astrology
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I will never endorse any product or service that I do not fully support. The ads served by AdChoices (in posts and the sidebar) are NOT necessarily products I use or recommend.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.